Re: right hand drive pedal positions? Not much Triumph here.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: right hand drive pedal positions? Not much Triumph here.
From: "David Brister" <brister@tiscali.fr>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 11:41:35 +0200
Of doubtful relevance but maybe some interest is the fact that many British
cars of the 1920's and earlier had the accelerator pedal in between the
clutch (L) and brake (R) pedals. Don't know about US cars. I have known
Morris, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Sunbeam models with this arrangement. These
days when you are going to drive one of these you must say to yourself
"brake on the right, brake on the right" many times before you start.
Strangely it seems to sink in to be second nature after the first half mile
or so. Same thing with old motor bikes with a throttle lever instead of a
twist grip. I once had a 1924 500cc Triumph. (Triumph content!)
I wonder why they changed to the present arrangement. Also RR and Bentley
and other posh marques had their gear change levers on the right for many
years.

Enough bandwidth wasted!

David Briste1967 TR4A