re:TR4 timing with ignitor

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <steven@newellboys.com>
Subject: re:TR4 timing with ignitor
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 23:13:24 -0400
Well, you can't do the static timing thing.

So, use a timing light.  Set to 6 degrees btdc (since there is no scale on the
engine, you need an analyzer light).

Then drive the car.  Incrementally advance the distributor (use the clicker)
Advance the clicker until at about 2500 rpm, on a moderate grade, at wide open
throttle, you should get just a hint of a ping.  Then back off a few clicks
from there so you do not get any hint of a ping any longer.  You have just set
the ignition perfectly for that tank of gas.  Lower octane will ping.  Higher
octane will tolerate more advance.