Re: TR4 Driving/Fog Lamps

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Driving/Fog Lamps
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 19:32:18 EDT
Hi John,

I have a pair of Hellas mounted on top my TR4's bumper, in place of the
overriders. These lamps allow a lot of tilt adjustment to compensate for the
angle
of the bumper. Not sure whether or not  that's possible with the 576s. This
does position the lights rather far forward, but is a good height off the road
for a spot/driving lamp (fog lamps can be lower).

BTW, there are also "rear mount" 576s, such as were used on the boot lid of
the Rallye TR4s. I've seen these used on the front of a bumperless TR4.

The lamp bars on the Rallye cars and replicas replace the bumper entirely,
which was removed anyway as a weight reduction. The Rallye TR4s were using
larger 700 or Ranger series 7" lights, I believe. Two, three or four per front
end,
depending upon driver preference.

The badge bars (aftermarket only, none was ever offered by Triumph) are rare,
but you might find a repro, or have one made. However, even if these have a
tab to mount a light or you get a clamp-on type mount to use with the bar, the
light will likely be positioned too high and probably will interfere with the
hood when opening or closing.

The best solution might be to make up some brackets that attach under the
bumper using the existing mounting points, offering a platfrom to position the
lights well. It'll be up to you if this is inboard of the overriders or in
place
of the overriders. Of course, inboard might obstruct the front license plate,
if req'd on your car, and outboard of the overriders will likely obstruct the
headlights.

Some speculate that lights in front of the grill might cause cooling
problems, so beware! (Never seemed to faze my TR with 6" lights or my Land
Rover with
8" driving lights.)

I've toyed with the idea of insetting lights into the grill of my car, but
have had other, higher priority stuff to take care of first. Plus, that's a
pretty hefty modification. But I've got a TR4A grill on the car, anyway, just
because I like the style.

Let us know what you come up with.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

Once again my enthusiasm for vintage stuff has bested me. Via EBAY i've
obtained original in the box fog and driving lamps, the classic
"SLR" and "SFT" lamps from the 50's and 60's. They look exactly like
the repros offered by Moss.
Of course, I now discover that there is no easy installation. They
don't fit behind the bumper, where they would interfere with lifting of
the bonnet.
Moss doesn't sell a badge bar for the TR4. I could mount them in holes
drilled in the bumper, but that seems pretty drastic. I've looked for
pictures through all my stuff, and can only find them mounted on
bumper-less rally cars. But I think I want my bumper.
Has anyone mounted these lamps on a TR4? I REALLY need these things
because my wife is always asking for a drive on dark and foggy nights!
Any ideas?