Today's 'courtesies'

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Today's 'courtesies'
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:28:57 +0100
A month ago, I moved house from the country to a small country town where
on-street parking is a major problem and there is no garage for my
much-loved and fully restored Triumph 2.5PI saloon. Rather than leave it
outside our new home and risk it being broken into / vandalised / stolen, I
was able to store it in an off-road parking area alongside my mother's house
and not sell it as I thought I'd have to do..
I don't like leaving the car outside and in any case, the land on which it
is parked is Mum's property. Alongside my 'parking slot' is another that's
allocated to a rented apartment property. Into this apartment has recently
moved a somewhat arrogant young man who drives one of those German WW2
coal-scuttle helmets on wheels, in the form of an Audi TT. IMHO hardly an
attractive car but they seem to go quite fast and probably attract high
levels of bank repayments for ownership.
Anyway, I had to visit Mum early this morning and while there, checked out
the Triumph to ensure everything was well - and noted a piece of paper under
a windscreen wiper.
Removing and reading its contents, it went thus:
"If this piece of junk was properly parked, but preferably where it belongs
in a scrapyard where it can no longer pollute the air we breathe, I might be
able to park my own car and more importantly, get out of the driver's door.
Thank you."
Anger turned to humour when I realised that if I turned the Triumph through
90 degrees so it occupied half of Mum's slot and half of his, he'd have far
more room to enter and leave his own car, whichever way he parked it. Well
pleased with my work but wishing I had this list immediately to hand to
solicit a suitably ascerbic reply, I stuck his note on the inside of the
Triumph's driver's door window and wrote at the bottom - "Something like
this?"

Jonmac