RE: leaf spring clearance?

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: leaf spring clearance?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 09:22:27 -0700
> I mounted a wide set of rear rims up to my TR3 frame today.  The tires
> on them were only 1/2" away from the leaf springs.  Is that enough
> clearance?

Mine were about that close, and I don't think they ever touched.  Had more
trouble with the clearance to the fenders ... even after several adjustments
(including moving the body on the frame) they still rubbed lightly in corners.
The springs flex a lot more near the ends and in the bushings, so the body moves
more relative to the wheel than the spring near the axle does.  Never did get
around to adding a Panhard rod ...

Randall