RE: Excess carbon buildup

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Excess carbon buildup
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:25:34 -0700
> I can
> clean plugs -
> 50 miles later all carboned up again.
> It appears the car is not firing hot enough but what am I missing ?

IMO problem is not your plugs.  Mixture is too rich for some reason.

Did someone put in Grose jets ?  They can be a problem, IMO.  Switch to a
non-stock (electric) fuel pump ?  Too much fuel pressure can also be a
problem.

Couldn't hurt to double-check valve timing either.  I once worked on a
4-stroke motorcycle that would foul the plugs in about 20 miles, and it's
problem turned out to be the timing chain was off by a tooth.

I'm not real familiar with the later carbs ... might be having the
temperature compensator blocked off or misadjusted could cause this ?

Randall