RE: Wire Wheel Cleaner

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wire Wheel Cleaner
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:17:14 -0700
> I also used Simple Green until I read the bottle. Don't let it dry on the
> wheels or there may be a corrosion issue. I read the bottle after reading
> the same article as Bill mentioned.

As I recall, last time we went through this, we found that the smaller
bottles didn't have the warning.

For those who might not buy it in gallons, the message is that Simple Green
is quite alkaline, and can corrode and weaken aluminum (and AL alloys) if
trapped in contact with it, for example by getting between the wheel and the
valve stem.  It's been forbidden to use it on aluminum aircraft, after it
was found in some cases to be seeping in between the rivets and the skin,
and weakening the skin around the rivets.

Randall