The VTR issue - last few days (long)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The VTR issue - last few days (long)
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:44:29 +0100
Having been out of cyber-circulation for the last few days, I was surprised
to read the range of feelings about VTR's apparent restriction to its site.
To be honest, I haven't even clicked on it to see what the fuss is about. As
an individual - and with very special feelings towards Standard-Triumph as a
marque (that many will know why) I feel that VTR's recent decision is
probably understandable, but then I speak from a strictly UK perspective.
Many Standard-Triumph clubs here have restricted site access and I endorse
that decision. Collectively, they have about 30,000 members but with annual
memberships of GBP 30 or more (getting on for US$60) those same Clubs
rightly feel they have to give their members something that is unique to
being a member - and I don't see that as being elitist, per se. If this is
to be a private part of a website for emails, tech sessions, queries, gripes
or whatever for members only - then so be it. I personally don't see why
non-members should have totally free access to any website and if a person
wants to support a particular marque, then they should join a Club best
suited to their needs. So I guess I'm saying VTR has (IMHO) done the right
thing. That said, if any person feels they don't want to join a club but
*does* need technical support, the internet and lists of this type are the
place to go. End of story.

As for being elitist, to my disappointment as an ex-employee of the company,
I get very saddened when I see demonstrations of elitism by certain members
of certain clubs in the UK. Some Stag and TR owners look on Herald and
Spitfire owners with a disdain that beggars belief and those of us with
Dolomites and Big Six Saloons are often treated by those same people (and
seemingly) the rest of a larger majority, as though an odious smell has
reached their nostrils. A few years ago, I even got a post from someone on
this list saying "that as you don't own a TR, what are you doing here?"
Although I now belong to just one UK Club that covers all models and
contribute to its excellent monthly magazine as I'm able - I do little else
on an activities front. I have to say the "Club Spirit" within all UK
Standard-Triumph clubs leaves me feeling rather cold. For a start, I'm not
really a clubs person and I'm certainly not interested in the politics,
point-scoring, 'vested interests' and enthusiasm for specific personalities
that appears to be so common over here. There are also a few 'nerds' I'm
anxious to avoid because there's more to my life than owning old Triumphs :)
All I want to do is to play with my cars either by myself or in the company
of others with the same or another make. Perhaps I'm unusual here but I can
see the time when Clubs as a whole will have to put past differences behind
them. The vehicle parc is slowly diminishing year on year and splinter
factions that periodically raise their heads will be short-lived through
lack of finances and member resources. There is more than ample evidence of
this around the world with smaller makes - and especially for pre-WW2 models
and makes. There are now so few of them around that the individual clubs
that used to support them have had to join together to survive. With
respect, anyone who thinks this can't happen to a Standard-Triumph club
wherever it is located - and especially in a much larger continent - is
rather foolish.

I'm not too sure what the future is for VTR with such a tiny membership of
just over 2000 people but purely as a spectator from afar, it seems to me
the many individual clubs within its Chapters and Zones are more effective
in drumming up local membership than the prime host that seeks to support
them all.

Jonmac
(Honorary VTR member)