RE: VTR West Coast Convention and VTR website

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: VTR West Coast Convention and VTR website
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 14:55:04 -0700
> I am told that several years ago there was a proposal by a west
> coast club
> to host a VTR Convention that was subsequently withdrawn before
> any action
> was taken on it by the VTR board.

The event I'm talking about would be more than a few years ago, most likely
before the first Triumphest in 1985.  But of course the story may be
apocryphal ... when was the first VTR convention anyway ?

At any rate I really didn't raise this issue to criticize the locations
where the VTR convention has been held, but rather to try to point out the
short-sightedness (IMO) of saying, in effect, that VTR is synonymous with
the Triumph community, that you cannot be a member of one without being a
member of the other.  I don't think that's true, and I don't think it's a
position that VTR wants to take.

And my original point was simply that, while I see no problem with having
"members-only" content on the VTR website, IMO the maintenance pages are the
wrong thing to restrict.  You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, and
the maintenance tips are what newbie Triumph owners need most .... why not
let them see the benefit of the club to them directly ?  It costs nothing to
keep the maintenance pages open.  And if there are a few Triumph owners who
are short on cash, need that $30 to keep their Triumph on the road (or at
least away from the crusher) ... then I say let's help them out !

Past and present newsletters would be a wonderful thing to have on-line,
available only to members ... I might even join for that ! <g>  Making the
travel contact list available only to members would be a Good Thing, IMO ...
I don't mind any Triumph enthusiast knowing my phone number but I'm not
certain I want it published to the world.

Randall