TR3A Windshield

To: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Windshield
From: Bryan Reese <a241blr63@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:36:05 -0700
I was hoping to prevail upon the collective wisdom of the List with
assembling the windshield assembly for my TR3A.

The glass had a few cat's eyes, so I purchased a new one from Moss. It
measures exactly the same dimensions, particularly thickness, as the old
glass. I had all of the parts replated at Supreme Plating in Inglewood,
which indeed did a supreme job. On my valve cover, the plating is so
thick that I can't quite get the oil filler cap on.

I purchased the requisite glazing strip from TRF, a roll of sticky black
ribbon about 1 1/2" wide.

The glass won't go in the frame. With the glazing strip folded over the
edge of the glass, it just won't fit in the frame; it's too thick to fit
in the slot. So...

1.   Is there a trick to this that I don't know about? I even tried dish
soap to try to get it to fit in the slot.

2.   Could the plating really be so thick that the assembly will no
longer fit?

3.   Is there a thinner glazing strip?

Thanks for the help.

Bryan Reese
Pasadena  CA
1960 TR3A
1960 TR 10
1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (210,000 miles!)
2000 Chrysler 300M

P.S. I've been trying to contact Justin Wagner so I can buy one of his
fantabulous valve cover gaskets, but no luck. Are you out there Justin?