A couple of tid-bits...

To: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: A couple of tid-bits...
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 10:57:38 -0400
Morning guys and gals,

I have been out of the US for a while, and prior to that not very chatty on
the lists as I once was, so I thought I would share some bits of information
as the summer has now kicked off.

*** Cleaning Vinyl:

Last fall I found the absolute best product to thoroughly clean vinyl.  Mr.
Clean Magic Erasers!  This is a special sponge material, with a scrubbing
and absorbent sides.  The scrubbing side conforms very well to the irregular
surface of vinyl and gets out all of the dirt from the tiny crevices quite
well.  A box of four costs about $3.  I used them in plain water with a few
drops of dish soap.  The Magic Erasers made some old trashy looking black
TR6 interior panels look like they were lightly used... the panels were
headed for the dumpster until I cleaned them up.

I originally had purchased the Magic Erasers to clean latex paint at home.
The sponge is advertised as being non abrasive and as it did with vinyl, it
cleans painted walls very well.  As the sponge is non abrasive, it does
sacrifice itself.  After a few uses, the sponge will have disintegrated
enough that you have to switch to a new one.  As far as I know there are no
chemicals in the sponge, it is simply the material itself that performs so
well when cleaning irregularly textured surfaces.

*** TR4A/250/6 owners with rear tube shock conversions:

Last June there was chatter on the 6-PACK list about one member's cars
having a cracked frame in areas around the rear shock crossmember on his car
equipped with rear tube shock conversions.

While I was in the UK, a customer of mine emailed me regarding the tube
shock conversion he was using... a kit he purchased from one of my
competitors:

" Kai:
Three weeks ago I was out for a TR6 drive hit a Hartford bump and heard a
loud bang.  It sounded like one of my doors was opened.  Knowing that was
not the case, I thought that it was the trunk lid.  Well, moving on in the
diagnoses, the rear cross member is broken on both sides.  It is sheared
through as one would take tin snips and cut the metal perpendicular to its
length."
"This is the result of the KYB shock kit that I purchased from _blank_ at
top price ($200).  I hesitated when I bought the kit but he convinced me
that this was the best and most resent kit design."
"Well, I am pissed.  I told him that I wish to return the kit.  He told me
that that was the "chance that we all take when we install aftermarket
equipment on these cars."  He actually said that my car's frame must have
been rotted or I must have beat on it.  I believe that he knew that this was
an inferior product when he sold it to me."
"If the roles were reversed, I would give him his money back without
hesitation.  I would feel responsible for his car being damaged and offer to
share the cost of repair.  But that's me.
What is the fix?  Do I just have it welded or replace the cross member ($300
Moss)?  Do you have one of these cross members?
Best,
Al"

Right now, I beleive that the only people that should be concerned are those
with KYB shocks.  I have a number of customers running a similar conversion
with SPAX adjustables and they all inform me of no troubles.  If anyone
else, on either lists, has had similar experiences.... I and I am sure
others would like to know what shock kit you have what brand of tube shocks
are being used.

Cheers,

Kai

--