RE: Vacuum Advance Rebuilding

To: <mandrews53@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Vacuum Advance Rebuilding
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 08:26:03 -0700
> I tried the mighty Vac trick and it is amazing to see the distributor plate
> turn---but how long does stay ?

It should stay for quite a while, at least on a TR motor.  Some vehicles have
deliberate leaks, but I don't know of any Triumph that does.

> Mine seems to move a good bit (10-15 degrees)

Any idea which advance capsule you have ?  Usually (not always), both the Lucas
P/N and the advance specification are stamped on the cover.  I'm trying to
accumulate a database that matches P/N to advance, so I'd love to hear from
anyone who can find both numbers.  (I'll also be happy to share what I've got
with anyone who wants it.)

> and then returns to the original place. I tested the vac ( I stuck
> it to my finger and it hung there till I released it) so its good. the only
> other place for it to slow leak would be the diaphragm. Is it time for a
> new one???,

A small leak won't hurt anything, but a larger one will lessen the amount of
advance (due to pressure drop through the tube).  I don't know how to quantify
small vs large, but I'd guess that if it takes a second or more for the plate to
start moving back, the leak probably isn't large enough to worry about.  If it
moves back instantly, the leak is probably enough to have an effect.

Also check that your connection to the advance isn't leaking.  I've had trouble
with the hose supplied with the MityVac not sealing to the adapter, probably
because my hose is getting old and hard.  Couple turns of safety wire around the
hose end solved the problem.

Randall