RE: %&?#@"! filler plug!!

To: "Jim Jones" <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: %&?#@"! filler plug!!
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:26:07 -0400
Hi Jim:

I just had the same experience.

I've purchased a nice square 7/16" wrench via a list member. However the
wrench was stuck in the mail and I didn't feel like waiting. Here is what I
did.

I took a 9/16" 1/2 inch drive impact socket (smallest one that was a normal
cylinder in my kit). I cut a small slip of metal about 1" long and 1/2" wide.
I bent it in the middle at 90 degrees and slipped it into the drive side of
the socket. This made me a nice strong cylinder with a 7/16" hole in one end.
I then slid that on the gearbox filler plug and used a plumber's pipe wrench
on the cylinder. It worked like a charm.

Before that I had nigh well killed myself scrabbling around under the car
hammering at a 7/16 box wrench, dremelling out a section of the tranny support
rib below the plug; basically anything you could imagine. My little home-made
socket did the job with no hammering at all, just a strong pull on the pipe
wrench. You don't need to use an impact socket, but they aren't chromed, so
it's less likely to slip with the pipe wrench. You might also have to file the
plug back to square before trying since yoiur box wrench will have rounded the
corners, but I assure you this is a nice quick way to get the wretched thing
off.

After that I suggest you buy the wrench. Can somebody post the link to the Joe
Alexander  on the list who makes the unit? It is a nice punched wrench with a
7/16" on one end for the plug and a 1/4" on the other for the brake adjust.
Very useful road kit tool indeed.

Cheers,

Mark
1972 TR6