Re: tr3 alternator

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tr3 alternator
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 06:02:33 EDT
Hi Larry,

The Delco 7127-3 requires the least work and modification to make it work.
(Note: the "-3" means the wiring is at the 3 o'clock position. Another "clock"
might fit better on your car, if the alternator runs near the right inner
fender. Others are available, talk to your auto supply store.)

The 7127-3 should give you 60-65 or more amps to work with.

There's some fitting needing done. You'll need to trim the bottom/front mount
of the alternator a bit, make a spacer to go between the tabs on the old
generator mount, devise a rear/bottom mount, bend the upper adjusting bracket
align the pulleys, replace the pulley on the alternator with a wide one (or
replace the crankshaft and water pump pulleys with narrow ones), and upgrade
the
wiring to handle the increased load. Car needs to be negative ground, which
means changing the wiring at the battery, of course, but also swapping the
wires
at the Amp gauge and swapping the wires on the distributor.

I *would* refer you to the VTR.org website's maintenance section for
excellent volunteer-submitted articles there, but you'd need a membership and
password
to get in. (Me? I'm not bitter ;-) Maybe someone here archived a copy of the
instructions for alternator conversion. Or, you might find the vtr articles by
poking around at http://www.waybackmachine.org/ (just type in vtr.org and
start sifting through the lists... it's there.)

If you have any trouble let me know. I just installed one in my realtively
early TR4. I recently posted details of the surgery in the Triumph Forum at
www.britishcarforum.com

BTW, I recently noticed Powermaster is making an "stealth" alternator that
mimics an old Ford generator. Someone told me there are other some other
alternators in other faux generator housings, but only for American cars as far
as we
know. Wish someone would do the same with the more common Lucas generators
found on LBCs. What I've seen for American cars have been damned expensive,
though. The Ford faux generator was $350, if I recall correctly. That makes the
$50-$60 Delco 7127-3 a lot more attractive!

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

hello, does anyone remember the delco modal number for the alternator to be
used in a tr3?  regards,  larry schwartz