Re: Outer Axle shaft ujoint yoke in rear hubs

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "6-Pack"
Subject: Re: Outer Axle shaft ujoint yoke in rear hubs
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:35:45 -0400
Don, It can not easily be removed and there really is no need to do so when
replacing the u-joints. I've replaced several of those u-joints on various
cars over the last 30+ years and never even considered doing this. Besides
why would you? The hub flange is the locator for the outer bearing inner
race. Once that is removed you have affected the end float of the whole hub
and bearing assembly. That's something that you don't want to do unless of
course you are rebuilding the rear hub internals.
A long No answer.
JVV