Mistaken Identity

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mistaken Identity
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:07:43 +0100
Here is a true story about two ex-Triumph employees about an event that took
place no more than a month ago. For reasons of anonymity, I'm witholding
their names but suffice it to say both are well-known on the UK
Standard-Triumph scene.

Mr A was sitting at home one evening when the phone rang. It was Mr. B who
was rather bored and wanted a chat. A and B spoke at some length with A
asking about B's health. B has had a heart problem of late and it leaves him
feeling a little unwell on occasions. Mid-conversation, A hears a loud thud
through the phone earpiece and quickly asks B if he heard it as well. No
answer. A repeats the question and still no response.He hangs up but quickly
redials the number on several occasions and is hardly surprised to hear the
line engaged tone. Now a little worried, A confers with his wife on what he
should do. Wife suggests re-trying the number and if the line is still busy,
perhaps he ought to notify the emergency services. Note here, that A and B
live about 200 miles apart.

The line continues to be busy, so A eventually rings the police and asks for
them to intercede with the local force in B's district and for the police -
and possibly the paramedics - to visit B's house. Address and phone number
are given. Satisfied that he can do no more but still worried about B, A
returns to his chair and the TV.

About two hours later, B telephones again - and in a high good humour..
"Sorry about that silence on my part while we were talking earlier this
evening. Had a funny sensation and I passed out. Anyway, I've poured myself
a Scotch and feel a lot better."
"That's good news," says A. "I've been really worried about you and because
I couldn't get an answer on several re-dials, I felt it better to phone the
police, in case you really were ill?"
"Yes," B replies. "I heard about that."
"Did they come to see you?" A asks.
"Yes, in the end."
"What do you mean - in the end?"
"Hmm," says B, "I obviously forgot to tell you I moved house about a year
ago, though as I still live very close to where I was previously. Because of
my proximity to the former house, I was able to take my old phone number
with me when I moved."
"So the police and paramedics didn't come to see you? Yes or No?
"No, they went to my old address, the one you must have given them, finding
no-one willing to answer the door bell, they forced an entry."
"By what means?"
"Several big policemen and a larger than average sledgehammer to the front
door."
"Hell's teeth!"
"Yes, it is rather like that. Especially as the current owner was - well,
you know, there "with his girlfriend" at the time and in somewhat
compromising circumstances. To make matters worse, the owner's wife returned
two days early from her vacation - and arrived at about the same time as the
front door was finally smashed in."