RE: Generators

To: "John Gillis" <jgillis@tcd.ie>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Generators
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 02:23:32 -0700
> Would I be correct in presuming that all the Lucas C40 range of
> generators will fit my TR2?. And if that is the case I there an
> advantage using one from say a Vitesse 2litre which quotes a higher
> output.

I may be mistaken, but I thought we decided that the C40L found on the Vitesse
was, in fact, slightly longer than the C39 that was original on the TR2.  You
might be able to fit it, by adding spacers at the rear mount, but I suspect it
will either hit the exhaust manifold, or at least come close enough for the heat
to cook the rear bearing.  Sorry I'm too lazy to go measure at the moment, but
you could ask again next month <g>

To take advantage of the slightly higher output of the C40 over the C39, you'll
need to recalibrate your control box (since it is what limits the output
current).

FWIW, the C40 does look somewhat different than the original C39, even though it
will bolt up (and was generally sold as a replacement).

Randall