Frame Repair Questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Frame Repair Questions
From: "John Cohen" <jmcoh@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:50:11 -0400
Hi,

I recently installed a set of Goodparts adjustable trailing arm brackets
with new poly trailing arm bushes in my 1976 TR6.  Everything was going
great until we tightened up the bolts on the passenger side outer bracket.
The walls of the outrigger or trailing arm box section started to collapse
as it was tightened.  The outside metal is solid so we concluded that the
spacer stiffener inside the outrigger had collapsed due to internal
corrosion.  We temporarily fixed it by fabricating a plate of sheet steel on
both sides of the outrigger to spread the load over the whole box section
and it worked great but it only a temporary fix.  Has anyone replaced this
part on the frame with the body on, from below.  In Roger Williams book, How
to Restore, on page 57 he talks about a two piece repair part that he calls
Option 1.  Where can I buy option 1?  The replacement frame parts at Rimmer
Bros and Moss do not specify one or two piece replacements.  Any thoughts or
suggestions?

John Cohen

1976 TR6