TR3A distributor directions

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A distributor directions
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:21:23 -0400
As far as a running foriegn car, I've only been around a '67 Volvo.
However, I've been working on an abandoned non-running TR3A for about a year
now.
It's engine rebuild is not yet complete.  I am now working on it's
distributor.

I was astounded to find that the new contact points did not close completely
and I have yet to mount them inside my distributor (is this the way things
are suppose to be?)   I ordered these a while back from one of the big
three.  I don't know whether to install them or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My other question concerns the proper positioning of my distributor when
installed in the car.  For instance, if I were to be standing facing the
left (driver side of my car) so that the headlights were at 9 o'clock and
the distributor were at 12 o'clock.  Is the No. 1 sparkplug wire at, say, 10
o'clock?  Where does the pointy vacuum-advance diaphram point?

For about two weeks my Triumph email has been very sketchy,  I've tried
resubscribing.  But could folks please email me directly with the answers
sought above.

Thanks very much,
Paul Dorsey  60 TR3A