Re: Unable to shift into 1st abd 2nd gear

To: <RcMlndz@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Unable to shift into 1st abd 2nd gear
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:24:41 -0400
Hello Ricardo,

It can be simple or it can be more complex. Before removing the entire
gearbox I'd remove the top cover and have a look at the gearbox as well as
the top cover mechanism. My first suspicion is the cover assembly has
malfunctioned in some way. Was it also rebuilt?

Are there more symptoms or clues that you can offer? Can the shift lever be
moved or is it impossible to move? I assume that you can get the car to move
in 3rd and reverse, is that correct?

If there are no nasty sounds when moving the car under power then I'd focus
on the top cover itself. There are detent balls that limit movement of the
shift levers in 1st and 2nd when 3, 4 or reverse are engaged. Likewise they
limit movement when of 3rd, 4th and reverse when 1st or 2nd are engaged.
Same with reverse It's all associated with the relative position of the
shifting shafts within the top cover. If the Top cover was disassembled and
one of the balls got misplaced or left out or just plane stuck somehow it
could be that simple. I'd try a strong movement of the lever between 3rd and
4th and into reverse with the engine off to see if something is hanging up
inside the top cover. Maybe you can jar it loose. That will tell you it
needs attention but the good news is that you don't have to remove the
transmission to fix it.

Write back with as much information as you can detail and maybe I can help.
I've rebuilt many of these gearboxes, not as many as some, but more than a
few.

Hope to help if I can

JVV