Question about wire wheels retaining shape over time - longish

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Question about wire wheels retaining shape over time - longish
From: Davgil@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:36:48 EDT
I have been considering converting my 1976 TR6 from steel wheels to wire
wheels.  I  would like to get advantage of the experts opinion on one  matter
if
possible.  I will mention that I have already searched the  archives and did
not find specific information on this subject.  My  question has to do with
wire wheels retaining their shape if the car is not  moved regularly.  I don't
have a trailer queen, but due to space  limitations I keep it about 100 miles
from my home and do not get to drive it as  often as I wish.  If thinking of
the
wheel as a clock, I understand that  the spokes at the 12:00 position are
fully engaged while those at 1:00 to 2:00  (for example) are partially engaged
and the spokes at the 6:00 position are not  under any weight.  As the weight
of
the car is essentially suspended from  the spokes and they are stressed
unevenly, does this tend to cause problems with  the wheels if not regularly
driven? One of the reasons I an considering a  change is because I suspect my
steel
wheels and older red-line Michelins are  collectively causing a vibration at
higher speeds.  I would like to change  wheels and tires to get a better
quality ride, but I don't want to have to leave  the car on jack stands to
protect
the spokes of the wheels or to change and have  another out of round wheel
problem with the wire wheels.  I am  contemplating 72 spoke wheels.  I would
value
your opinions.
David Gill
1976 TR6