Re: por-15

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Subject: Re: por-15
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:51:38 -0400
 From what I know POR-15 would work fine inside the frame if there was some
good way to clean the
inside. I don't know how to do that.

My plan is to use Dinitrol 3125 inside the frame. It's a waxy rust preventative
kind'a like Waxoyl
but it's supposed to be lots better. It's also very expensive and only
available in UK.
$25.00/liter. I suppose Waxoyl would work too. Some folks spray motor oil
inside he frame.

I think the major problem is getting the dirt, dust and rust out of the frame,
so you need something
that will soak through whatever crap is left inside. I think the POR-15 will
not make an air tight
seal when put on top of all the dirt inside the frame. That's why they want you
do do all the
surface prep before using it. I'm in the process of shaking the dirt out of the
frame and using a
shop vac. I'm counting on the Dinitrol 3125 to soak through whatever is left.
My understanding is
that Dinitrol 3125 soaks through dirt and whatever better than Waxoyl. Waxoyl
tends to lay on top.
We'll see how it works.

No easy answer I guess. Maybe motor oil... Cheap and runny :-)

Don Malling