re: TR4 smoke/steam/vapor from oil filler cap

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR4 smoke/steam/vapor from oil filler cap
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 21:02:46 EDT
Drew,
On pre-smogged TR4s, fresh air is supposed to enter through oil cap gauze and
exit out lower side of crankcase through the draft tube (tube's end is cut at
certain angle and exits near bottom of car to catch road draft while car is
moving and suction out 'blow-by' fumes.
Due to mileage you may have a little extra piston ring 'blow-by' building up
then thermal rising out of oil cap after engine is stopped.
If a fire truck follows you into your driveway it's probably time for a
rebuild (happened to me!). Turns out I had blown a few piston rings out the
tail
pipe and had a lot of blow-by!
You can do a hone and ring job (or use Barclays honey-like additive to your
oil - 'No-Smoke' I thinks it's called) to reduce blow-by. 'A few wisps' seems
to be within reason though. I'd be a little more concerned if oil cap was
emitting consistent smoke signals while running.
You could make sure 'in and out' air ports are clear - just blow a deep
breath of air into oil filler and listen for easy exiting from side draft tube.
regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

I've only driven a few short trips, but I've noticed that if I pop my
hood after driving long enough to get the car up to temperature there
is a bit of vapor/steam/smoke(?) coming from the oil filler neck on
the valve cover. I pulled off the cap and noticed that it is set up
to vent to the atmosphere. Is this normal?
- -Drew