RE: TR4 Fan/Carb

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Fan/Carb
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:17:20 -0700
> My question is, is my problem is it heat related?

Tim, your description certainly sounds like "percolation", which is where
the fuel in the carb jets starts to boil from being too hot.  The problem is
exacerbated by the witch's brew they sell as gasoline here in California.

> This problem
> only occurs in
> the summer, and what is the remedy, if so.

An electric radiator fan will certainly help, by lowering underhood
temperatures when standing still.  However, I still have occasional trouble
with percolation, even with my big Hayden fan, so it's not a complete
solution.

A carburetor heat shield would help too, perhaps even more than the fan.
Oddly enough, Joe Alexander is right now considering manufacturing and
selling a heat shield for TR2-4A ... email him at N197TR4@cs.com

BTW, if you have your choke linkage adjusted so the fast idle comes on first
(as it should be), you can pull the knob out just a bit to hold the idle up
and hopefully keep the engine from dying.  But be sure it doesn't move the
jets, as that will make the problem worse.

Randall