RE: Drain Rear Differentil

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Drain Rear Differentil
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:10:03 -0700
> Drilling and tapping may not be enough.  There may not be enough metal
> in the housing to allow for a good bite by the drain plug.  You may need
> to weld on a bung.

As someone already noted, there is a place provided in the casting for the drain
plug.  It's thick enough.

Simplest is probably to copy the factory's practice (on the earlier diffs) of
using 1/4" NPT threads, which take a 7/16" tap drill.  Note that, since the
threads are tapered, you don't run the tap all the way through.  I like to stop
early and test the plug for fit.

Randall