RE: Gymkahana VS funkahana

To: <ZinkZ10C@aol.com>, <rbtr3a@cox.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gymkahana VS funkahana
From: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:26:33 -0700
I beg to differ! My copy of Hebb and Pecks "A Complete Handbook, Sports Car
Rallies, Trials and Gymkhanas" was published in 1956! It describes a
Gymkhana as "a track meet on wheels." A Gymkhana, is sometimes timed, but
not always. It almost always requires a navigator. It is designed to test
the agility of the sports car, plus the teamwork of the navigator/driver
combination. Sometimes one or both of the team members are required to leave
the car to accomplish a task. Typically the course requires that the car be
put into reverse and backed up in order to enter a gate, etc.

I have driven in Gymkhanas for almost 50 years, in California in the late
'50s and '60s, they were more popular than they seem to be now. When I was
stationed in Memphis in the Navy we held 2 or 3 every year.

A Funkhana is very similar if not the same as a Gymkhana and as far as I
know is only used to describe a traditional Gymkhana-like event at
Triumphest, I have no idea why the name change! Triumphest is held in late
September or early October and is hosted by one of the 4 or 5 Triumph margue
clubs in California and Arizona! Last year it was held at Lake Tahoe and
this year it is being held in San Diego. Triumphest is a great event and
loads of fun, it pulls attendees from much of the western half of the US.

Jim Bauder
'68 TR250, CD47L
TR web site: http://www.triumphowners.com/647
Scottsdale, AZ