TR-4 seats

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-4 seats
From: James Ruffner <jar@aldermanroad.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:35:59 -0400
The question was asked as to leather vs. vinyl.  These are vinyl,
without the head rests.  As I remember, the first TR-4s used the TR-3A
style seats, and these were of leather.  They were changed in mid to
late '63 when they ran out of the TR-3A seats.  These were not a good
fit for the TR-4s because the seat height and back shape was not correct
for the TR-4.  Very awkward seating.   I believe the next style was a
verticle back, in that the seat had pleats that ran in a verticle
direction, bottom to top edge.  These were of leather, and were
appropriate for the car.  Note that on the TR-3s, the driver's and
passenger's seats were interchangeable.  The next series, which were
made for the TR-4s were not interchangeable.

The seats I have were the next series, at which time they had gone to
vinyl.  They then may be for a '65.   I know that I have seen this style
in leather at some shows, but I think these were aftermarket recovers.
I don't believe that they were a factory option, but I'm not sure.

I'll take some photos and send to anyone who is interested.

Cheers.

J. Ruffner