RE: Gearbox oil change.

To: "Steinman, Bill" <wsteinman@pogolaw.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gearbox oil change.
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:44:51 -0700
>  I'd really appreciate someone giving me a step by
> step for draining the oil in my gearbox, refilling it, and what
> lubricant I should use.

One more tip, Bill : I like to put 'Teflon' pipe dope on the threads of the
plug when I reinstall it.  You can buy the pipe dope in any hardware or
plumbing supply store, and it's designed for exactly this type of fitting
(tapered pipe threads).  It acts as an anti-seize to keep the steel plug
from seizing to the aluminum housing, and also helps seal the threads so you
won't be tempted to over tighten the plug.

Teflon tape is designed to do the same thing, but has a nasty habit of
shredding as the fitting is tightened, leaving little strings of tape that
can float around into places where you don't want them.  The dope is
slightly more expensive, messier (and slightly harder to find), but I prefer
it because it cannot form strings.

Randall