RE: Not quite overheating, but...

To: "'Randall'" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Not quite overheating, but...
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <70TR6@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:31:28 -0400
Some random thoughts :

Have you verified that the fan starts running and stays running as the temp
gauge moves above center ?

How much above does it move ?  A needle width or so is probably nothing to
worry
about, it's just the thermostat opening farther.

>It moves into the upper part of the range.

Has the radiator been recently rodded out ?  Tested for efficiency ?

>It was re-cored about two or three years ago, but I swear it worked better
prior to that.

Is there a shroud around the fan ?  And is it reasonably well sealed to the
radiator core ?

> the shroud is temporarily removed.

What are you using for coolant ?

>I was using about a 50/50 mixture, but that has been deleted by various
leaks and fill-ups.  Right now it's probably almost all water.

How much voltage is getting to the fan when the temp gauge is climbing ?

> the fan is currently running continuously as the temp sensor arrives
tomorrow.

Are you sure your timing marks are accurate ?  If the rubber in the damper
shifts, the marks will be wrong.

> should be, the damper just got back from Damper Dudes.

Don't know that any of this is your problem, just some things to think
about.
Randall

Thanks Randall.