RE: Oil pressure issue

To: "Cameron Rooke" <beaker211@rogers.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil pressure issue
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:25:00 -0800
> so I wonder if
> the brake light coming on yesterday has something to
> do with the oil pressure problem.

Normally, the brake light would always come on with low oil pressure.  On my
Stag, it's very difficult to notice the OP light with that big red brake light
staring you in the face.  First few times it happened, I didn't notice the OP
light at all.

But an important rule I found out is that the PDWA (the switch that drive the
brake warning light) *cannot* indicate a problem with the brakes, unless your
foot is on the pedal when it first comes on.  It operates on pressure from the
MC.  And, it cannot turn itself off.  So if the light comes on when your foot
isn't on the brake; and/or goes off by itself, then something else is wrong
(like low oil pressure).

> So, does low oil pressure cause the Tach to go
> berserk? Is it possible that an oil pressure problem
> could cause other things to light up given the way
> things are wired?

Anything is possible, I suppose.  But my guess would be that the tach problem is
unrelated, and indicates a problem with incorrect point gap, or perhaps
excessive shaft wobble in the distributor.  Mine jumps all over the place when
the point rubbing block gets worn even though the engine runs fine.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org