mystery flywheel

To: "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: mystery flywheel
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:54:43 -0500
As many of you know, I am rebuilding my '60 TR3A engine.  I also bought a
spare engine that was from a TR4 or 4A, but, 'it never ran right' the owner
told me.  This motor had a different flywheel than the TR3A engine had and
didn't have a starter.  This mystery flywheel was a little bit lighter weight
and had more teeth AND IS A LITTLE LARGER IN DIAMETER than the TR3A's
flywheel.

Later I somehow acquired a Triumph shrink-on ring gear at the parts auction of
VTR Richmond (94?).  This shrink-on ring gear will fit on the mysterious
flywheel but also has the same distance between it's teeth as my 60 TR3A
flywheel has.  The bottom line is this:
Can I use either flywheel on the TR3A engine- one of them is about an inch
larger in diameter?  I am not totally stupid, I know I'll have to make some
kind of adjustment for the starter...........
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org