RE: [TR] TR6 Oil Pressure Switch

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR6 Oil Pressure Switch
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 17:02:05 -0700
> 1. In painting part of my engine bay the painter disconnected the three
> wires from the oil pressure switch.  Can anyone please tell me which
> wire spade goes on which switch tab?
>
> 2. I have three wires: brown, silver (with a heavy duty connector) and
> purple. The three switch tabs are front, up and rear.

David, I can't answer the question directly, but I can tell you how to find
the answer.  I tend to do things this way anyway, because the color codes on
my car are frequently illegible, and replacement switches sometimes have
different connector orientations.

For the OP switch :

1) With the engine off (and no wires attached) use an ohmmeter to check for
continuity between 2 of the 3 terminals.  The third terminal should be open,
and none of them should show continuity to ground.  (If not, either the
switch is bad, or wrong for the application.)  Make a note of which two
terminals show continuity.

2) Start the engine, and repeat the test in step 1).  This should be a
different pair of contacts (otherwise the switch is bad or you have no oil
pressure).

The terminal that was common (had continuity) in both tests is the ground
connection.  The one with continuity only with the engine stopped is for the
oil light, the remaining terminal goes to the anti-runon solenoid.

Now we need to identify the wires.  The colors you mention don't match the
schematics I have, (in particular, none of the original wires were silver)
so here's another research project.

1) With the key off, use a voltmeter or test lamp to check from each wire to
ground.  You should find 12v on one wire, that will be the wire from the
ARS.  (If the ARS has been disconnected, you may not find voltage anywhere.)

2) Turn the key on, and ground each wire in turn.  One of them should make
the oil pressure light come on.

3) The third wire should be ground.  If you didn't find the ARS wire in step
(1), hook a test lamp or voltmeter to 12v and try to ground it with each of
the two remaining wires.  One of them should complete the circuit, this is
the ground.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org