RE: [TR] Another dead voltage stabilizer! Why?

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spamiam@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Another dead voltage stabilizer! Why?
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 11:20:40 -0400
Hi Tony,
It sounds to me like your voltage stabilizer is the victim, not the cause..
Especially since you are on our second stabilizer in a short period of time.
I think your problem is a short somewhere to ground. Is a wire rubbing
somewhere against metal? Also, you might want to consider carefully checking
the harness for smoke trying to jump from wire to wire! If the wire harness
looks OK, do you have a extra fuel gauge or temp gauge you can swap in?

If you build a solid state replacement definitely use a diode of some kind
on the input. Even a 1N4001 rectifier diode would be better than nothing.
They are 1A, 100V parts but it sounds like you may already know that.. A TVS
on the input would be better still. I use TVS parts all the time to protect
communication circuits and they work great for transient protection. But, I
still wonder if the stabilizer is the problem?? I am suspicious of the 38
year old wire harness myself.
Best Regards,
Dave Connitt

===     http://www.vtr.org