[TR] Re: TR6 Brake noises

To: <Dave1massey@cs.com>, <ggelhar@earthlink.net>,
Subject: [TR] Re: TR6 Brake noises
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 17:23:06 -0600
Dave, I have tried grinding a bevel on the front of my pads and the
squealing went away in my case.  Just used the shims, no goop.  I bought
the pads 3 or 4 years ago, but I forget the manufacturer.  I too have
heard that certain pads are less prone to squealing.

Greg, I would give this a try, although I suspect that at some point the
squealing will come back when the bevel gets worn away.

John - 76 TR6

Louisville, CO

In a message dated 7/7/2006 8:22:21 AM Central Standard Time,

ggelhar@earthlink.net writes:

> Can someone please explain to me why brakes squeal? I need to find a
way to

> quiet them down. I have adjusted my driving style using greater pedal

> pressure than I would like so not to give other drivers a bad
impression of the TR.

Dave wrote:

>>Brakes squeal because the static coefficient of friction is higher
than the

>>dynamic coefficient.

>>Why do YOUR brakes squeal?  I dunno.  A couple of things to check are
1) are

>>the anti squeal shims installed the right way round?  2) Perhaps the
brake

>>compound is prone to squealing.  There are pads (and shoes) of other
materials

>>that are less prone to squeaking 3) I have heard that grinding a bevel
on the

===     http://www.vtr.org