RE: [TR] TR4 Seized (?) Engine

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4 Seized (?) Engine
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:48:38 -0700
> I was wondering whether to put it back on its wheels and try gently
> moving it in gear.  Any advice on freeing this up, or should I be
> resigned to disconnecting the pistons and pulling out the applicable liner?

IMO you might as well go ahead and disassemble it.  If the rings are that stuck,
there has to be cylinder damage.  Even if you did get it freed up, it would burn
a lot of oil.

If you're an optimist, you could just pull #3 & #4 with the engine still in the
car.  Sounds like you are almost there anyway.  But I'd guess that, after you
get a look at what's inside the water jacket, you'll want to pull #1 & #2 as
well, if only to clean in there.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org