[TR] Re: Installing Pistons - TR4A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Re: Installing Pistons - TR4A
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 17:07:32 EDT
Hi Guy,
   I agree with the other responses... use motor oil or STP. There are also
special engine building lubricants that work well.
   One VERY important thing if you choose to use motor oil... DO NOT under
any circumstances use *synthetic* oil at this point!
   In fact, don't use any synthetic oil in the engine for at least the first
5000-6000 miles after a rebuild. It will cause glazing in the cylinders and
prevent the rings from every bedding in properly. This will in turn lead to
burning oil & lower compression. The only way to fix it will be to pull the
engine
back apart and, at the very least, dress hone the cylinders to remove the
glaze and install new rings.
   Alan Myers
   San Jose, Calif.
   '62 TR4 CT17602L
   http://www.triumphowners.com/640
Last night I got the rings placed onto the pistons and pistons mounted to
the con rods.....What do you recommend as a lubricant for this?

===     http://www.vtr.org