Re: [TR] dumb fuel questions

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] dumb fuel questions
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 07:52:14 -0600
Paul Dorsey wrote:

>Does the fuel pump do anything without the glass cover on it?

It sucks air. Take a look at how the pump works when you get a chance --
if it's installed, take off the glass sediment bowl and hold a mirror
underneath so you can see better. Fuel flows into the glass bowl through
the hole in the middle-top, flows through the bowl and is sucked back
out through the metal screen on top. Note you should have a metal screen
at the top, held in place by the cork gasket. Grit is supposed to be
caught by the screen and settle to the bottom of the glass bowl.

>What happen to the Su carbs if the cover is left off (momentarily) off the
>reservoir?

Not much happens to the carbs. If you're asking what happens to the
carbs if the glass bowl is removed from the fuel pump, some fuel may
drain down through the fuel pump. But the carbs won't completely drain,
and I don't think you'd lose much to evaporation in the time it takes to
clean the bowl or change a cork gasket. If there is no fuel in the carb
bowls, it'll take a little cranking to get fuel to the carbs.

More will happen with the gas tank. Since the tank is higher than the
fuel pump, once you remove the glass sediment bowl if the tank is full
it will busily empty itself on your garage floor. Some of us install
fuel shutoff valves to make cleaning the glass sediment bowl safer.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2

===     http://www.vtr.org