[TR] TR6 M/C test

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR6 M/C test
From: Dale VanCleef <dalevancleef@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:21:12 -0500
I have a '73 TR6.  Recently the brakes have gotten extremely soft.  The
pedal slowly goes all the way to the floor and (when on a hill) the car
starts to roll.  It requires constant pumping to get it stopped... and
to keep it stopped when on a hill.

There are no visible leaks at the wheel cylinders, the calipers or the
master cylinder.  Also, the fluid level does not seem to be
diminishing.  I doubt that there is air in the line, because it came up
so suddenly.

Last year, I converted to DOT5.  Until now, I have had no problems.  Is
there a master cylinder test I can perform myself?    I'd hate to drop
$200 on another M/C (or even $60 on a rebuild kit) if that's not the
problem.

Thanks in Advance,
Dale VanCleef
'73 TR6  CF985U