RE: [TR] Ebay TR3B - need help

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Ebay TR3B - need help
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:28:29 -0800
> There is a 3B for sale on ebay, Item number: 300048598427.  It is Signal Red
> and fitted with Strommies.  A young Lady I know is very interested in buying
> it.  Evidently the car was restored 9 years ago in Mass. then spent some time
> in Albany, NY and is now in Buffalo, NY.  Are any of you familiar with this
> car?  Could you offer a recommendation of any sort?

Darrell, I know nothing about the car.  But I see a few things in the auction
that would give me pause before paying top dollar.  It seems odd to me that
someone would go to so much apparent work to "restore" the car, and then install
that rusty old wiper motor on it.  The brake & clutch hydraulics also appear to
have been put back without any attention.  Obviously those aren't large
problems, but they do make me wonder what else hasn't been done.

Battery hold-down is missing, as is the heater.  The body was painted without
even removing some of the grommets !  Looks like the threaded holes for the soft
top webbing have been bondoed over.  The hardtop fittings aren't there either
... there's no way to put a top on this car.  Inside door "handles" are missing
... why ?  Oh yeah, the steering wheel looks to be in bad shape, too.  In one
photo, you can see the original rubber protruding from the cover, and it's not
only split but looks to be breaking away from the spokes.

Gaps around the doors are "just perfect" but the door latches are tweaked ...
again not a big problem, but makes me wonder ...

All that said, it sure is pretty !

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org