Re: [TR] How to put "Lights" letters back on TR6 dash

To: robertrudolphi@netscape.net
Subject: Re: [TR] How to put "Lights" letters back on TR6 dash
From: ScharfR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 20:07:55 EST
In a message dated 12/6/2006 6:43:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

Date:  Wed, 06 Dec 2006 15:43:22 -0500
From:  robertrudolphi@netscape.net
Subject: [TR] How to put "Lights" letters back  on TR6 dash

I was hoping someone came up with a easy solution to adding  the word
"Lights" under the headlight switch in my case a on 74 TR6. I had the  dash
refinished a few years ago and the letters were removed. These are the  small
white
letters.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks in advance  for any assistance.

Robert

(and list):

Please excuse this if it isn't timely. I'm digesting and thus a suffer from
retarded timing.

There's a product called Letraset(tm), or dry transfer  lettering, found in
artist's supply stores (and formerly in drafting supply  stores, but I think
those went out with the twist). It consists of largish  (tabloid sized) sheets
of plastic on which are printed way letters covering the  full alphabet with
many examples of each letter; lower case and caps. A wide  variety of fonts and
sizes are available, usually in black, often in white,  occasionally in other
colors.

To apply, the sheet is laid over the substrate to be lettered, letter side
down, and the letters positioned properly (a line of tape for a guide will
help). Then, using a smooth stylus or other tool, you rub the letters from the
top side and they are transferred to the substrate. One-by-one, you spell out
what you want. Spell check not included. When complete you can use a piece of
sooth paper (often included) to burnish over the letters for better  adhesion.

These letters are not particularly durable in the as-laid condition (hmmm,
that my apply to many of us), but you can apply a clear coat over them for
lasting protection. Of course, you'll have to check to be sure the clear coat
doesn't dissolve the letters. The whole process is a bit like positioning
decals, but dry.

If this isn't all clear send me a direct e-mail and I'll send a sample. You
can also probably find out more with a Google search for "Letraset" or "dry
transfer lettering." There's probably a letraset.com out there, but I haven't
checked. The stuff is still available in my area.

Bob Sharp
Michigan
64-ish TR4

===     http://www.vtr.org