RE: [TR] string parallel with the road?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [TR] string parallel with the road?
From: ray@raysmg.com
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 07:23:40 -0700
Paul,

I'm with Robert on this.

Right now my TR3 is perched atop 4 stands in the garage while I am doing
a total rebuild of the front suspension. I use two trolley type jacks to
raise the front and/or rear an inch or so at the time, then set a jack
stand before moving to the other corner. Go slow and keep it somewhat
level as you go; you can raise one corner 4-5 inches at one time
(surprising how much flex is in the frame), but I always fear hearing
loud pops and groans and costly frame repairs, so I don't.

The frame is not flat (front to rear), so placement of the jack stands
and adjustment of the height will determine just how parallel to the
road/floor your car is.

I've got a couple extra jacks and stands and live nearby if you need to
use them.

Ray

Ray McCaleb
ray@raysmg.com
http://www.raysmg.com

Robert wrote:
"...buy 4 cheap jack stands at Wally World and  support the
frame in four places to make it paralell with the floor?  Don't  make it
harder
than it has to be Paul."

===     http://www.vtr.org