Re: radio

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, timipurdy@citlink.net
Subject: Re: radio
From: Brian Jones <banc8004@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 05:02:21 -0500
Subject: [TR] TR4 Heaters
The heater in my 64 TR4 no longer works at all.  <snip>
Any assistance, certainly be appreciated.
Tim
-------
Tim: there is not much to go wrong.
Kneel at the driver footwell, looking above the gearbox hump. Pull on
the air-direction control, and you should see the air dam drop to
direct air to the footwells.
Start your engine, and wait for the thermostat to open (the pipe to
the radiator will then be getting warm).
Pull the heater control. This cable leads to a valve mounted near the
oil filler cap (on my '63 anyway) that should now allow hot water to
the heater.
Follow the rubber pipe from the valve to the firewall. Its the upper
of the two, and should quickly feel warm to the touch. This will tell
you that a) your valve has opened, and b) that you have flow).
You should soon be able to feel warmth in the return pipe - the lower
of the two, connected side by side at the firewall.
  Open your scuttle vent at the base of the windscreen and close the
dash vents using the thumb-wheels, and take her out for a drive (I'm
assuming its a 'she').

At say, 30 miles an hour, there should be a noticeable flow of warm air.

If you have warmth in the supply pipe, and still no heat in the car,
I'd imagine the heater element is blocked. In this case, I'd use a
good brand radiator flush product and use the supply / return hoses
to thoroughly  back flush and flush the heater element. That will
give you a good chance of clearing things.

If you get no warmth in the supply hose, suspect a faulty valve. Moss
635 270, $25.
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29174

On your fan, I can only imagine it is a dash-out job. My fan didn't
work when I got my car three months ago. My PO had adopted the 'twist
and tape' method for joining wires. Soon fixed, but I don't think I
have used the fan since I got it to work.

Good luck,
Brian in Valley Forge (slated for 60F, December 17, 2006, and it all
feels a bit weird.)
'63 TR4.

===     http://www.vtr.org