Re: [TR] Wheel centers

To: pethier@comcast.net, james_v_laviana@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Wheel centers
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:05:46 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: pethier@comcast.net

  On Jan 10, 2007, at 12:33 PM, Jim Laviana wrote:

  > Does anyone on the list know where I can find some wheel centers >
for original bolt on wire wheels for a spit/gt6?

  I don't understand the question. I thought all original wire wheels
for spit/gt6 were Rudge knockoff style.

 ==AM==
They were, but only through the Spitfire Mk3 and GT6 MkII/+ models.
"Square-tail" Spitfires and GT6s did briefly have the option only of a
Dunlop bolt-on, "outside-lace" wire wheel similar to the one in this
image:

<http://spitfire.amicale.com/images/jantes/jante35.jpg>

Don't be fooled by the "knockoff" in the picture. Normal fitment was a
relatively plain chrome cap on the center, held on by...well...some
sort of cheesy pin arrangement that allowed the caps to fall off pretty
much all the time. That's probably why the caps are so incredibly rare
today. ;-)

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>
across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

===     http://www.vtr.org