[TR] TR3: Body mounting nuts stripped!

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3: Body mounting nuts stripped!
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 20:34:14 -0500
A couple of months ago, as I was about to begin some of the bodywork I
tightened my TR3's body/mounting pads/chassis.  Since that time I set the
correct door gaps including the  upper curve door gap to the scuttle.
        Today I noticed the driver's side two mounting pad(s) that mount the
body to
the front of the chassis were now loose.  These two locations are both on the
same 45 that run up to the shock tower..Very Important!
        I prayed that tightening them down would not alter my door gaps, A
post, etc.
To my surprise, neither one of these bolts would tighten...I must have
stripped them someway, somehow!
        Unfortunatly, I proably will have to drill all the way through this
strut
(squarish tube) bolt holes and simply use a longer bolt that now will  show.
(Preivously, the nuts had been hidden)
        Is there anything wrong with doing this?

        Thanks, Paul Dorsey
        60 TR3

===     http://www.vtr.org