RE: [TR] Rubber ring in radiator neck of 59 TR3A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Rubber ring in radiator neck of 59 TR3A
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 09:54:41 -0800
> With all this talk about radiators and thermostats, etc I have a
> question about a rubber ring that is in the hole at the bottom of the
> radiator cap housing.

You're talking about place on the radiator where the cap goes on, right ?

> I have asked a number of other TR3 guys and nobody seems to know what or
> why it is.

I am going to _guess_ that someone has put that there in an attempt to get the
wrong cap to hold pressure.  The TR3 takes a special radiator cap, because the
distance from the top of the fill neck to the sealing seat inside the neck is
farther than other cars.  Even the radiator cap makers don't always get this one
right.  So, if someone didn't have the right cap, they may have put the rubber
ring in there in an attempt to "make do".

My suggestion is to get the right cap (readily available from TRF, Moss, et al)
and remove any extraneous bits.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org