RE: [TR] crack propagation

To: tr3driver@ca.rr.com, Triumphs@Autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [TR] crack propagation
From: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:50:42 -0500
>Works with most if not all materials, including aluminum, glass and steel.
>The
>trick is to get the hole located beyond the tip of the existing crack,
>which
>sometimes cannot be seen.

Randall is correct. You have to stop-drill the very end of the crack, which
is usually not visible without dye-penetrant or some other NDT. I have seen
many many cracks that are stop-drilled, crack some more, stop-drilled, crack
some more, etc. etc. etc.

So drill a little beyond the visual crack. If you drill a little past the
crack, don't worry, the crack will find the hole!

John

===     http://www.vtr.org