[TR] TR3: doing w/out extra legroom?

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3: doing w/out extra legroom?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:52:12 -0500
List,
I've never sat behind the steering wheel in a TR3 before but I am working
towards it and I need some advice.

I am a lanky (185 lbs) and 6'2" and long ago Fred told me I'd fit in my car
just fine. However, I now have an unusual concern about LEGROOM.  I am having
to replace almost half of my Driver's Side- Side Footwell Panel (the portion
toward the car's front).  This is the panel that has been partialily idented
for added legroom.  When I welded my homemade replacement panel in place, my
amatuer welding job looked so pathetic I decided that when the time came in my
restoration, I'd cover this patchy welding with stainless steel.
        Several months later I found the perfect piece of stainless and it's
dimensions would also make for a cool map pocket!!  This would be great to
block my patchy welding with a useful pocket that doesn't stick out at all!
But it ALSO blocks that 1/2" extra legroom created due to the indented side
footwell panel.  Is it uncomfortable without this tiny amount of exra space?
        I'm guessing that this 'indentation' is about 1/2" deep and 8" long and
12"
tall.  The stainless panel is about 12"x12" and would lie almost flat against
the wall but hiding the indention.  Therefore the indention enables it to
easily hold several maps.  But, can I afford to go without it?
        Is there something else outthere, that would block my ugly welding?
        Thanks,
        Paul Dorsey
        60 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org