[TR] Original Triumph Caulking?

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Original Triumph Caulking?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 15:00:34 -0500
I have done much talk about replacing my floorpans.
I have already replaced all rotted sills, done an ugly (but hidable) job on my
A & B posts, achieved good door gaps and am just now laying in my TR3's
floorpan.
          I had planned to 'curl up' and weld the extra length of the
replacement
floorpan in front of the pedals.  This would allow for a water tight
joint(cross-your-fingers).  However, on the 'untouched' side of the car I see
that, Standard-Triumph (with all their wisdom) just left the floorpan straight
and simply applied a bead of caulking (no welding) in order to achieve this
water tight seal.
          Can I do the same with 3M-Automotive-Caulking (not it's real name)???
 It
costs $17.

Dare I try to trump Triumph's method?
Thanks,