[TR] Caliper dust boot installation

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Caliper dust boot installation
From: ray@raysmg.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:05:59 -0700
As part of the front suspension rebuild on my '60 TR3 (TS65408) I am
also rebuilding the brake calipers; new SS pistons, piston seals
(square "O" rings), dust boots, and SS brake hoses.

I have completed the passenger side and have installed the caliper. The
advice from the group on using air pressure and clamps to remove the
old (one stuck) pistons was invaluable; THANKS! The only problem I had
in reassembly was installation of the caliper dust boot. The piston
seal slipped right into the inner channel of the caliper cylinder with
no problem, but getting the little "L" shaped rubber flange on the dust
boot into the outer channel is no easy task; at least it wasn't for me.
I finally utilized a dental tool to pursuade the rubber into place,
after lubricating the part, but inadvertantly made a small hole in one
section of the boot...I don't think it will be a significant problem.

I'm about to install the parts into the driver's side caliper and want
to do it better/right. This morning I took a lot of time using a dental
pick and small wire brush in a Dremel tool to clean any rust from the
channels. I have small hands, enough patience, and all the time I need
but would appreciate any insight from the group in how to best attack
the job.

TIA, Ray

Ray McCaleb
ray@raysmg.com