RE: [TR] spark

To: "j randolph sandner" <drsandner@earthlink.net>, "triumphs"
Subject: RE: [TR] spark
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:04:34 -0800
> my car dies a few months ago, towed home.
> finally have time to dink /c it.
> no spark.
> replaced coil, new condenser...........no spark. points correctly gapped.
> i have another condenser mounted on the coil mounting bracket. appears
> original. there is no mention of this condenser in any of my manuals, nor
> dan masters book. any ideas??????????

You've already gotten some very good suggestions.  All I have to add is to
suggest a systematic approach, rather than just replacing parts at random.  Get
a voltmeter or 12v test light, and check that there is 6-9 volts across the two
low tension coil terminals when the points are closed (and the key is on), 0
volts when the points are open.  If not, you know you have a low tension
problem, and can work outwards from there.  These cars are old enough that odd
things sometimes fail, like the resistor wire in the harness that feeds the
coil, or the ground lead from the point plate to the distributor body.

As already noted, the condensor on the side of the coil was likely added to
reduce radio interference.  If so, it will be connected to the same terminal as
the harness wire.  Won't hurt to disconnect it while you find the problem.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org